Letters to my Kids: Championship edition

finding your passion Dear Thing Two,

I’ve been proud of you since the day you were born (and probably before that too).

But this past month has been such a marvelous time to watch you grow.

I remember a couple of years ago being somewhat puzzled at the sports nut you were becoming. I still don’t quite know where it came from, but I no longer question it…it’s clearly a part of who you are.

As I watched you push through late night basketball practice two nights a week, it became apparent that you truly love this sport.

As I watched you on the court, it was clear to me that you are a kid who plays with integrity. You believe in the rules of the game and you do your best to honor them.

As I watched your team finish the season, take on the tournament, and finally land in the championship game, I watched you play with intensity. You’re fierce!

As I watched your coach plant the seeds of confidence in your brain, I saw how you learned to take risks — and score with those attempts.  (And I didn’t miss them this time!)

As I sat on the bench surrounded by our friends and family, I watched you play excellent defense. You clearly understand the need for both offense and defense in playing to win.

As the season drew to a close, and your team worked together to score a victory against the top ranked team in your division, I took a moment to thank your coach and received such positive comments about you back from him.

J played great yesterday – he scored some points but he also did some really good things on defense that we have been teaching all year.  He was guarding a really big kid but he positioned himself just like he was supposed to and was able to get some tie ups which led to jump balls.

He was very coachable this year and it was fun to see his confidence grow.

You have raised a very nice and respectful young man in Jason.

Your team came away with a win in that championship game and there’s a trophy on our mantle to celebrate that title. I know it was the highlight of your February, but you might be surprised to know that it was also the highlight of mine.

We are the champions

Yesterday as I sat in the warmth of our home, surrounded by feet of snow and ice, I looked out the back door to see you shoveling the patio so that you can play basketball.

snow basketball Can’t say I’m surprised.

But you do know that they’re not planning to add basketball to the Winter Olympics, right?

I couldn’t be prouder of you.

Love,

Mama

• Jackie March 1, 2013, 12:50 pm

Now getting out there to shovel snow just to play basketball is dedication! There are talents that my kids have and I have no idea where they got them from! They have to be from some long lost genes.
    Jackie recently posted..Letters to my Kids – Dear Caitlin

• RChicken March 1, 2013, 9:38 pm

My dad played basketball in high school, but that’s the closest thing to a genetic link we can find.

• Lisa March 1, 2013, 7:26 pm

I’d be proud of him too! And shoveling all this snow…total dedication. Props to Thing 2.
    Lisa recently posted..Roots

• RChicken March 1, 2013, 9:39 pm

He’s something, that kid…dedicated to all things sports. He hasn’t managed to dig out the entire patio. He’s decided to play on TOP of the snow instead!

• Amy @ Counting My Kisses March 2, 2013, 7:26 am

Wow! Awesome post, such a great letter to your son. I would also treasure those words from your son’s coach! And I love the picture of him playing basketball in the snow. :) Stopping by from SITS, thanks for sharing such a lovely post!
    Amy @ Counting My Kisses recently posted..If we’re going to be besties…

• RChicken March 2, 2013, 7:27 am

Thank you! He really is a great kid. And it’s always delightful when someone else notices too!

• Kim@Co-Pilot Mom March 2, 2013, 7:47 am

How wonderful that he has found something he loves and that he still wants to play – in the snow – after season’s end. That picture of him playing in the snow is great!
    Kim@Co-Pilot Mom recently posted..Backwards Day

• RChicken March 2, 2013, 11:48 am

He’s praying for melting temperatures! He got really tired of trying to shovel the snow that is packed down :(

• Coll March 2, 2013, 9:59 am

I am equally proud of my grandson, though I’m still trying to reach
    him by phone! What a championship blog, Kimberly.
    Noli

• RChicken March 2, 2013, 11:46 am

I’ll nudge him again. Sorry! And thanks for the comment.

• Cathy March 3, 2013, 1:20 am

What an awesome post! You can feel the love in your family just reading it! Your son is lucky to have you as a mother!

Happy Sharefest Saturday!

Cathy

• RChicken March 3, 2013, 8:58 am

Thank you! I’m darn lucky to have this great kid. I just make sure he knows it once in a while. (I also make sure he wears clean underwear)