Memories Captured: Second Chances

it is the response that counts

Not so very long ago, I had a tough moment of mom honesty with my kid. I had missed his only basket on the basketball court all season because I was checking my email.

I am relieved to share today that I didn’t miss his second.

And it couldn’t have been a better testimonial for his coach.

Our team was ahead by several points.

The clock had just a few seconds left.

Coach made sure Thing Two got the ball.

The defense did their thing.

And my boy scored!

On the last play of the regular season.

In the final seconds of the game.

And I didn’t miss it!

(Although to be fair, I might have. My dad and I were engaged in a deep conversation about iPhone apps — but the fact that I pulled myself out of sideline conversation and back to the game might just be evidence that I learn from my mistakes once in a while.)

What was the last mistake you learned from?

I’m linking up today with Memories Captured.

Like what you see? Get Rubber Chicken Madness delivered to your inbox: Delivered by FeedBurner

• ilene February 11, 2013, 7:35 am

The last mistake I learned from…um…. my divorce? Or hopefully, I will!

I remember reading the original post of yours – and yes, I have made similar mistakes with my kids – love your honesty.
    ilene recently posted..My Evil Mistress

• RChicken February 11, 2013, 7:26 pm

You will learn from your divorce. I did.

Thanks for stopping by!

• Jackie February 11, 2013, 8:23 am

YAY!! For winning…. making the basket in the last few moments of the game… and for not missing it!

The last mistake…. when toddler says that their stomach hurts don’t tell them that it’ll be fine and that we’ll be eating soon. Because they’re probably not hungry… Believe them and assume they’re sick so you can get them out of the car seat before they puke all over themselves and the car.
    Jackie recently posted..Monday Menu ~ U.P. Pasties

• RChicken February 11, 2013, 7:25 pm

Oh, Jackie! I remember a similar incident in my minivan! I said, “We’ll be home soon, honey.”

Apparently not soon enough.

• Kim@Co-Pilot Mom February 11, 2013, 9:02 pm

Yay for second chances and learning from mistakes! And yay for baskets scored!

The last mistake I learned from was putting too much detergent in our washing machine – I went downstairs to check the laundry and it was Suds City.
    Kim@Co-Pilot Mom recently posted..These Days

• RChicken February 16, 2013, 9:08 am

Yikes! Sounds like a Mr. Mom moment (At least the laundry area ended up clean?)

Thank you for stopping by :) And I adore your avi!

• Galit Breen February 11, 2013, 10:06 pm

I love the way you came full circle with this story, and ohmygoodness I LOVE that quote!
    Galit Breen recently posted..Love Letters

• RChicken February 16, 2013, 9:09 am

Thank you! I have loved having the opportunity to link up with my memories. I’ll just have to continue to keep the idea front and center in my mind until June comes around :)

• Alison February 12, 2013, 12:10 am

See, knew he would do it again and that you wouldn’t miss it. Yay!
    Alison recently posted..Memories Captured February Linkup, And Some News

• RChicken February 16, 2013, 9:10 am

He made me so proud in that moment!

Today they begin their tournament. They’re ranked 2nd in their division, so hopefully, we’ll have several more games with lots of opportunities to score.

And as I mentioned to Galit (above) I have loved having the opportunity to link up with my memories. I’ll just have to continue to keep the idea front and center in my mind until June comes around

• idiosyncratic eye February 12, 2013, 5:51 am

Yay, well done Thing Two! :)
    idiosyncratic eye recently posted..My Two Proofs

• Kristen February 12, 2013, 12:10 pm

Woohoo! So happy that you got to see this and it was such an awesome basket for the game! I love that feeling on the sidelines!!
    Kristen recently posted..Valentine’s Day Don’ts

• Tarin @ Office chairs February 12, 2013, 7:12 pm

What I did the the past year was really bad. I had this good job and suddenly, I resigned because I wanted to try something new, then I realized that I love that job… Luckily, I was given another chance, not in the same company but the same field.
    Tarin @ Office chairs recently posted..Which leather office chair is the greatest choice for your requirements?