I’m not overweight, I’m undertall

Yesterday, I was running late and although I grabbed a lunch out of my freezer, it wasn’t what I wanted. At all.

It was some kind of dried up half chicken breast covered in something indescribable and surrounded by freezer burnt roasted veg that had probably turned all mealy and gross.

As fate would have it, I had a meeting off campus and was in my car around lunchtime.

Oh, I could have easily been drawn to a deliciously juicy backyard style burger with waffle fries.

Or a hefty slice of pizza from the new joint in town.

But, no…I thought I was being fairly “good” when I stopped by Subway. You know, the fast food mecca for followers of Jared, St. Slim of Subway.

I got a nice LITTLE six inch sandwich on flatbread — which I erroneously assumed was going to be SMALLER in calories since it takes up so much less space.

I skipped the mayo but had some pepper jack.

Tossed on some veg and some deli mustard.

Then grabbed some chips (all right, I should have grabbed those styrofoam style “baked” chips) but the Mrs. Vickies Salt and Vinegar chips were there and you seriously can’t expect me to walk on by those delicious nuggets of tart saltiness, can you?

After all, it was FRIDAY and they’re SO hard to find in town.

And I skipped the mayo, for Heaven’s sake. A girl has to LIVE a little, right?

I poured my iced tea — with its beneficial health characteristics of antioxidants and zero carbonation.

I raced back to work, ate my lunch (savoring every little bite, mind you), and finished up my work day.

This evening, I set about putting it all in my favorite new app (MyFitnessPal) — No, I don’t make a dime if you download it…just want you to know it’s fabulous.

And what to my wondering eyes does appear?

A freaking 560 calorie lunch.

Wha????

That’s almost half my calories for the entire day!

It sucks to be short.

You only get to consume half the calories of the average bear.

Or weigh what they do at only half the height.

So, for dinner I had my Friday night glass of Cabernet and celery sticks.

Sigh.

Like what you see? Get Rubber Chicken Madness delivered to your inbox:

Delivered by FeedBurner

• Wombat Central January 26, 2013, 8:29 am

D’oh! Even Jared would be taken aback that Subway served up so many calories in a simple flatbread lunch!

Every fall, I indulge in the confectionary delights that are Tim Hortons pumpkin spice muffins. Sounds healthy, right? I just read online that they’re 400 calories per muffin! I’m not even a calorie counter and I was blown away. They’re just regular sized muffins. *sigh* I guess I just won’t get two of them at a time anymore. ;)
    Wombat Central recently posted..Making Friends at Every Age

• RChicken January 27, 2013, 12:04 pm

I think Jared gets more calories per day than I will ever be allowed. He’s male. He’s taller. But I’ll just keep going to the gym and get my metabolism UP and get my weight OFF and then I can readjust to a more “normal” amount of food.

• Melissa January 26, 2013, 10:22 am

Hi Sweetie, totally relate – though i’m 42 and 5’1 1/2 (never do i leave off that 1/2 inch!) heels have been my savior but i can tell you that when you are petite 5 lbs can make the difference in how you look and feel. I never have to go on a scale either. i know where i’m at by how my clothes fit.

petite – but still fabulous !

- Melissa
    Melissa recently posted..Suckered into the Shoes

• RChicken January 27, 2013, 12:03 pm

Good point. 5 lbs on my small frame will look like a larger loss than 5 lbs on a 5’10″ person. I love a silver lining!

• Crunchy Beach Mama January 26, 2013, 12:20 pm

I had to come visit you from SITS as your title IS me. :)

I’ll have to check out that app!
    Crunchy Beach Mama recently posted..How to Walk 10,000 Steps in a Day! #iheartomron #mamavation

• RChicken January 27, 2013, 12:02 pm

Welcome! And I’ll have to see if I can pound out 10000 steps in a day! That would help the weight loss, I’m sure of it!

• Classic NYer January 26, 2013, 5:55 pm

I just had to read that post, reset my mind so that I’m thinking and understanding in a world where 560 calories is too many for a sandwich and 1200 is enough calories for a whole day, and then read it again.

Just saying.
    Classic NYer recently posted..Poetry Corner Friday: Green tea

• Andrea January 26, 2013, 10:42 pm

I hadn’t thought of myself as under tall before. Stealing it! Visiting from SITS.
    Andrea recently posted..Emotional Infidelity: Dangerous Seduction

• RChicken January 27, 2013, 12:01 pm

If I could just have 5 more inches, I’d be able to eat so much more!

• deana January 27, 2013, 7:56 am

Im going to check out that app! I need something to help keep me in line.
    deana recently posted..Dear Man (yes you)

• RChicken January 27, 2013, 12:00 pm

I love that app! I’ve almost lost 5 lbs in two weeks because it helps me really stick to what I need to do.

• Nicole January 27, 2013, 12:20 pm

One really helpful thing i learned about earring healthy is finding healthy stuff you really really enjoy… Then you don’t feel deprived. And if you are eating fresh and clean, 1200 calories is plenty. One grilled chicken breast is only 120 calories. Mixed in a salad with your favorite fresh veggies will be really filling but still well under 500 calories. Don’t “diet.” Eat healthy.
    Nicole recently posted..Dear Academia: An Open Letter

• Amber January 27, 2013, 2:42 pm

Yeah, it stinks that everything I enjoy in life is high in calories.
    Amber recently posted..I’m Still Sexy So What’s Up With Him Plus Movie Tickets Giveaway!

• Charlotte January 28, 2013, 9:34 am

YIKES! Seriously?! I feel like I really want that app, but I’m scared to have it, too. I eat subway (veggie delight. on the cheese bread. with cheese. don’t judge), but maybe ignorance is bliss. I can’t even imagine the calorie count on that!

Have missed you, momma. Good to be here today :) XOXO
    Charlotte recently posted..What I have learned from being a foster mommy

• RChicken January 31, 2013, 9:24 pm

That app has been good for me. But the truth is, it only reports what I tell it. There are times I eat another wedge of cheese or another small handful of chips and fail to report it. Sigh.

• idiosyncratic eye January 28, 2013, 2:25 pm

I think calories are over rated. :)
    idiosyncratic eye recently posted..Me Today

• Jackie January 28, 2013, 6:28 pm

Yikes…. I wonder if the flat bread has more calories than the regular bread. I ate there the other day and had the chopped salad and it wasn’t that bad! Lots of veggies, chicken, salt/pepper/oregano, and some red wine vinegar!
    Jackie recently posted..Monday Menu ~ Crock Pot Jambayala with Mrs. B!!