Trifextra: Dating Probabilities

The directions for this week’s short writing challenge from Trifecta Writing Challenge:

Andy Rooney created something called “The 50-50-90 rule: anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there’s a 90% probability you’ll get it wrong.”  We want you to give us your own probability equation.  Use whichever numbers suit you, and make it about whatever you like, but give us something to think about.  In 33 words, of course.

Swimming among the felons, married cheaters, and talented liars in the cesspool of online dating candidates is one good guy. The probability of finding him before cynicism infiltrates your heart is infinitessimally minute.

• Jester Queen November 10, 2012, 8:46 am

No kidding!! Online dating is so full of pitfalls.
    Jester Queen recently posted..The five-ninety nine-twenty five rule

• RChicken November 10, 2012, 2:19 pm

It’s a cesspool, Jessie! In the last four weeks, there’s been a felon and a self-absorbed IT guy. Who knew that repairing other people’s technological equipment could be SO (allegedly) intriguing!

• Eric Storch November 10, 2012, 9:43 am

Needle in a haystack.
    Eric Storch recently posted..A Formula

• Gina November 10, 2012, 10:31 am

It takes a bit of luck, too.
    Gina recently posted..Trifecta: Flip A Coin

• Leigh November 10, 2012, 3:33 pm

So cynical — yet sadly, so probably true…
    Leigh recently posted..Healing Journey Monday: Healing is a participatory activity

• RChicken November 11, 2012, 7:45 pm

I keep holding out some hope, though!

• Cobbie's World November 10, 2012, 6:59 pm

So, so, so very glad to be happily married and to be removed from the dating world. I didn’t marry until age 36 so, between 20-36, there were lots of first dates. Some went extremely well. Some were over within the first few minutes. After awhile, it was easy to become cynical about those left in the dating pool. Sorry if you have not found your soulmate yet. However, at age 36, I did! Believe me when I tell you, it was so incredibly much worth the wait. There is nothing better in life than to love and be loved back. Don’t give up. Life is too short to settle.

• RChicken November 11, 2012, 7:54 pm

I. Will. Not. Settle. (Thanks for helping me stick to my guns!)

• rashmenon November 10, 2012, 9:28 pm

sad but true

• Draug419 November 10, 2012, 10:42 pm

Cesspool says it all when it comes to online dating :/ Great piece!

• deana November 11, 2012, 10:44 am

Very true. Yet when you find the right one = Priceless.
    deana recently posted..Yeah, I don’t bake…

• RChicken November 11, 2012, 7:46 pm

He’s out there. I just need to turn over the right rock.

• steph November 11, 2012, 2:04 pm

I know someone who has gone on probably dozens of dates over the last couple of years from people he met online. Says he met a lot of the “married cheaters” but no felons that he knew of. Definitely a jungle and the cynicism has set in for him. But maybe he’s no catch either. I couldn’t say. Great take on the prompt!

• RChicken November 11, 2012, 7:46 pm

I may not be a catch either, come to think of it. :(

• Angela Ryan November 11, 2012, 6:21 pm

Sure it’s cynical, but I love it. And my best friend since junior high has been happily married for five years to the man she met through Match.com. A former college roommate also got married last summer to a man she met through Match. Chin up! (I hate when people say that kind of shit … sorry).

• RChicken November 11, 2012, 7:47 pm

Stories like these give me hope. As do the millionaires who hit it big on the Powerball ;/

• Rog Rites (@RogRites) November 11, 2012, 8:07 pm

infinitessimal is better than zero. Nice one..

• jannatwrites November 11, 2012, 10:23 pm

I’ve had friends who’ve gone the online route and it can be discouraging. Just remember that “infinitessimally minute” means there’s still a chance :)
    jannatwrites recently posted..Faith Recognition

• viv blake November 12, 2012, 2:53 am

About as much chance as winning the lottery! I think I’ll give online dating a miss.

• RChicken November 12, 2012, 7:24 am

I swear, this is my LAST go round on the online dating carousel. After this, I’ll use that cash to amass the fortune I’ll need to feed my feline menagerie when I succumb to being the old cat lady.

• RChicken November 12, 2012, 7:25 am

And I am an eternal romantic optimist.

• Trifecta November 11, 2012, 11:39 pm

My sister-in-law is getting hitched on Saturday to a guy she met through Match.com. He’s (very) attractive, has a ton of money, is younger than she is by two years, works out, has a great job, wants kids, owns his own house on a quiet street and adores her. I never saw it happening, to be honest, but it did. I wonder if that lowers the chances for everyone else? :-)
    Trifecta recently posted..Trifextra: Week Forty-One

• RChicken November 12, 2012, 7:25 am

Rats! She probably got the last good one :(

Good for her though, truly!

• idiosyncratic eye November 12, 2012, 6:08 am

Oh you’re so good at these little short ‘bites’, succinct and so true! I hope cynicism doesn’t get you. :)
    idiosyncratic eye recently posted..Patterns and Disturbing Trends