Memories Captured

This week marks the 70th anniversary of my dad’s birth.

Inspired by this project, my sister and I created a photo memory book, complete with stories, pictures, quotes and anecdotes from friends and family near and far.

On Saturday, we converged from three cities to enjoy dinner together. As we left the restaurant to spend the remainder of the evening at my home for dessert and conversation, my younger son said, “Mama, I hope that photo book gets Grandpa talking about his memories. I love when he does that.”

And it did.

We spent a lovely evening filling in the bits and pieces and details of a life well lived full of adventures, twists and turns, sadness and joy.  My father, my sister and I filled in details from our own memory perspectives and my sister and I learned some interesting tidbits of Dad’s life.

70th birthday

While I have always been proud to be his daughter, looking at the sum total (to date) of his life and seeing the connections, the significance and the difference he’s made in the lives of others simply solidified the truth in this quote:

There’s something like a line of gold thread
running through a man’s words
when he talks to his daughter,
and gradually over the years
it gets to be long enough for you
to pick up in your hands
and weave into a cloth that
feels like love itself.

~John Gregory Brown

Happy Birthday, Dad!

• MizYank November 12, 2012, 6:15 am

Hi, random rowmie! Your most recent post grabbed me (my dad turned 70 in August) and I kept reading well past it, so way to go with your posts! The one about probabilities in online dating struck home, too. Or any dating, for that matter. It ain’t easy. I did go on a pretty good first date last night, though (courtesy of a personalized matchmaking service–wanna see if they can screw this up as well as I have :) ).
    MizYank recently posted..Thanks a lot, kid.

• RChicken November 12, 2012, 7:19 am

Thanks for stopping by :) Hmmmm…a personalized matchmaking service sounds promising. Wonder if they have a cleaner cesspool?

• Alison November 12, 2012, 7:32 am

Such a lovely quote!
    Happy, happy birthday to your dad!
    Alison recently posted..Memories Captured – November Link Up!

• Kim November 12, 2012, 7:52 am

I just love the quote you shared about dad!
    Your son’s love of hearing his grandfather’s stories is so sweet and a testament to what you value as a mom.
    We did a similar gift for my in-laws 50th anniversary. What a delight to hear stories we had never heard before!
    Kim recently posted..If you give a child a choice

• Galit Breen November 12, 2012, 7:54 am

Happy birthday to your dad!

And ohmygoodness *swoon* for all of that storytelling between generations! Love!
    Galit Breen recently posted..Tell Your Story

• Doris Downing Miller November 12, 2012, 8:28 am

What a wonderful birthday for your father! The quote was so special!
    Blessings to you!

• Katie E November 12, 2012, 9:08 am

Happy birthday to your dad! I love listening to my dad’s stories – more now than when I was a kid, I think! And would love to commemorate them in some way. Great post!
    Katie E recently posted..Memories Captured: First Haircut

• Christine @ Love, Life, Surf November 12, 2012, 9:12 am

Happy Birthday to your Dad!! What an incredible idea to create a memory book like that to share and keep all those incredible stories. I hope that it did get your Dad to share more of his stories.
    Christine @ Love, Life, Surf recently posted..Memories Captured: The Run

• May November 12, 2012, 9:58 am

A good father is a gift beyond measure!
    May recently posted..Letting Go

• Jackie November 12, 2012, 12:44 pm

I love that quote… it’s so true!

I hope that your dad had a wonderful birthday!
    Jackie recently posted..Monday Menu ~ 30 minute chili mac soup

• Maureen | Scoops of Joy November 12, 2012, 9:50 pm

Happy Birthday to your Dad. A father daughter bond is always so very special.
    Maureen | Scoops of Joy recently posted..Memories Captured: The Photo Shoots

• Arlene November 13, 2012, 10:31 am

Hi, It sounds like you had a wonderful evening. Happy Birthday !! to my special cousin. Sending you lots of Love.

• Kate F. @katefineske November 16, 2012, 7:28 am

I always love listening to stories from people with “a little more experience.” ;) Happy birthday to your father!
    Kate F. @katefineske recently posted..Where Did the Busy Week Go? {Edition 6}