Five Minute Friday: Wonder

Five Minute Friday:Wonder It’s Friday. It’s the last day of November. It’s the last day of NaBloPoMo, and while I got started late (November 5), I didn’t miss a day the rest of the month.

So, I’m thrilled to be spending a quick five minutes sharing my thoughts on “Wonder” — and then I may not write another word for 48 hours. Not even a grocery list :)

Timer set, and GO.

I often ponder whether my children have learned to stop and appreciate our planet. I’ve done my best to model it. I share my thoughts with them. But I know how teenage minds work, and I am quite certain there’s a good bit of good-natured eye-rolling that happens after I’ve said something and then turn my back to them.

But, every once in a great while, there’s a glimmer of hope…a magical family moment that isn’t crafted by me, but happens very naturally without prompting, and then my heart is buoyed by hope.

Last night, after listening to Thing One’s concert at school, I pulled in the driveway to see him unloading his stuff from his trunk. As I started to enter the garage, he motioned for me to stop.

He came to my car and said, “Do you want to see a brilliant sky?”

I was wiped out exhausted, as was his brother, but tiredness gets trumped by family connection every single time. Of course I wanted to see it!

We hopped in my car, and he directed us to a back road near our home. It’s far enough out of the main city to allow for a decent view of the night sky.

We pulled off the road, got out of the car and looked up to see the gorgeously bright full moon, and dozens and dozens of stars.

Spectacular! We looked for constellations. We marveled at the moon.

As I got back in the car and we headed home, I gave thanks for a magical moment with my kids. A moment in which it was abundantly clear:

They feel wonder.

I feel blessed.

• Shawna Ervin November 30, 2012, 7:40 am

I have goosebumps! What a splendid moment with your kids. What wonder is in this post.
    Shawna Ervin recently posted..Five Minute Friday – Wonder

• RChicken December 2, 2012, 9:13 am

Thank you so much for stopping by my madness. I love that I have a place to share those moments with others who appreciate the same things!

• Joy November 30, 2012, 7:42 am

Great post, and memory ~ so glad that you were able to stop and look together.

• RChicken December 2, 2012, 9:12 am

It was truly magical! So glad that he shared his joy and wonder with me :)

• Katina November 30, 2012, 11:39 am

YES Children have so much wonder! Why do we lose it as we get older?
    Katina recently posted..Five Minute Friday-Wonder

• RChicken December 2, 2012, 9:11 am

I don’t know why we lose it…but I’m going to try to find mine!

• Kristi November 30, 2012, 2:06 pm

SO cool! I can’t wait for these moments as my kids get older. Sharing the world, and the wonder of it.

By the way, I clicked over b/c of your image on the 5 minute Friday link-up=) Cute!
    Kristi recently posted..Five Minute Friday: Wonder

• marytoo December 1, 2012, 12:43 pm

Surprises like this are worth living for. I swear, sometimes you think they never hear a word you say, but then something like this happens, and whaddya know, they were paying more attention than you ever would have expected.
    marytoo recently posted..Five-Minute Friday….THANK YOU

• RChicken December 2, 2012, 9:07 am

It was such a magical moment. Thanks for sharing in it with us :)

• Amy I. Bloom December 1, 2012, 9:20 pm

This is very well written for a 5 minute post!

Hey, congrats on blogging every day. I fell way off the daily blogging, but still feel good for blogging as often as I did. I’m hoping to stick with at least a weekly schedule now.

Glad to have found you on Yeah Write, and I look forward to Studio30+
    Amy I. Bloom recently posted..Seeking Roomate

• RChicken December 2, 2012, 9:06 am

Amy, we’re delighted to have you at Studio30+! Can’t wait for your feature day :)