Blessing in Disguise

Mama’s Losin’ It My grandmother used to always say, “Every cloud has a silver lining.”

At the time, I completely disagreed.

But with age, along with varicose veins, gray hairs, and strange skin growths, comes wisdom. And now I get it.

In all honesty, it’s one of those lessons you can’t quite see until you have enough of a life to reflect backwards and see the positive things that resulted from the negative ones.  Hindsight is 20/20, you know?

I’m there now…with my varicose veins, gray hairs, weird skin growths and the wisdom  to look back over events and see that they were, indeed, blessings in disguise.  Although, truth be told, my hindsight glasses are bifocals.

Take for example, the Man Who Would Be King…the man I loved and thought I would spend the rest of my life with. The man who would have been the stepfather to my children. The man who knocked up another girl while we were dating. If I hadn’t uncovered his infidelity  I might have been the unlucky sap married to him, with him probably continuing to parade around town as a flirtatious philanderer.

It took me YEARS to see that silver lining.

I’ve written before about how life’s twists and turns landed me in the job I love, even though to get to it, I had to lose the opportunity for the job I thought I wanted.

It took me MONTHS to see that one.

But most recently, I’ve noticed that the wisdom to see the silver lining comes more quickly after the negative event if I’m ready to see it.

Not having tons of extra money for restaurant meals has meant that my boys and I are eating healthier at home.

I noticed that one within weeks.

And recent dark clouds (albeit not MAJOR ONES) have shown their silver lining within days.

My frustration at not finding just the right decor for my laundry room project allowed me to take the pressure off of finishing that by my deadline.

My nephew’s inadvertent damage to my bathroom sink led me to a great handyman, helpful and honest, who will be in my contacts ready for another project.

And Thing Two didn’t make the 8th grade basketball team, but as a result, is on a rec league team with several friends…and we’ve agreed to carpool!

I hope I’m learning that the downs of life bring ups. And sometimes the greatest valleys bring the greatest heights.

Perhaps I’ll begin to recognize them as they happen, rather than through the bifocal lens of hindsight.

What gifts of your life came after the storm?

• Katina November 15, 2012, 7:56 am

Loved this!
    Katina recently posted..Closet Made Me Smile-Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop

• Katina November 15, 2012, 7:57 am

For me, I closed my party business and it was a really low time for me for a variety of reasons. Years later, I am able to use the skills that I learned in my mobile fitness business! So cool! God is ah-mazing. His ways are truly NOT like ours.
    Katina recently posted..Closet Made Me Smile-Mama Kat’s Writer’s Workshop

• Sue November 15, 2012, 8:08 am

Wise words. Very wise. What comes to mind for me is that, though my mother’s death when I was sixteen certainly doesn’t qualify as a “blessing,” it veered my life down the path that led to my husband. My silver lining.
    Sue recently posted..The Case of the Missing Innards

• Lady Estrogen November 15, 2012, 8:54 am

Love all those – darn that hindsight though! I try not to dwell on it, but goddamn, it’s hard sometimes.
    You rock my world, darling :)
    Lady Estrogen recently posted..A blessing in disguise

• Kate @ Mommy Monologues November 15, 2012, 8:58 am

So, so many gifts that appeared after the storm. The biggest one for us this far has been when my husband was job hunting & we were sinking fast & it took him 18 months to find a new job. And it turned out, the company he wanted to work for created a new team & he was hired within weeks of applying for that job. It changed our lives!
    Kate @ Mommy Monologues recently posted..5 Things that Bring Me Comfort

• Jackie November 15, 2012, 10:06 am

Awesome.
    I think that if we all took a little bit of time to look at the bright side of things instead of focusing on the bad that has just happened we’d all be a lot happier.
    Jackie recently posted..The Holiday Wish List

• Jerralea November 15, 2012, 2:24 pm

I do think as we mature we can see the silver linings quicker. Often the things we wanted so badly would have been bad for us – we just can’t see it at the time.

That’s why it’s good to try and not get so down when bad things happen. I always say, “This, too, shall pass.”
    Jerralea recently posted..I Once Wore Boy Watcher Glasses

• Kathy at kissing the frog November 15, 2012, 5:14 pm

For sure my biggest blessing after a storm was getting pregnant with Baby E after Joey died. I did not want another baby. I was terrified something would be wrong with him because of my age, and I didn’t think I could handle any more heartache. But that little child is the light of my life. He heals me in so many ways every day and now I can’t imagine life without him.
    Kathy at kissing the frog recently posted..Liebsters and 30 Blogs You Have to Read

• Julia November 15, 2012, 10:47 pm

Yes, I so very much understand this. Sometimes it is so very hard to see those silver linings, but they are always there. I’m a huge believer in everything happens for a reason…even if we have no idea what that reason is.
    Julia recently posted..The Recording Studio

• The Meaning of Me November 15, 2012, 11:17 pm

Ah, silver linings…too many to count for this girl. Amazing how that works. Loved your post. Clicked over from Mama Kat’s because I loved the Rubber Chicken title. :)
    The Meaning of Me recently posted..Sweet Sounds and a Smile