Square Foot Gardening: Building the grid

One of the things I love best about Square Foot Gardening is how beautifully it fits into my “structured and organized” brain.

I like for things to have their place, and the square foot grid does that for my veggies.

Really, what did you expect from me? I’m a librarian who grows veggies. :)

As my second post in my Square Foot Gardening series, I’ve prepared a YouTube video to show you exactly how easy it is to organize your veggie garden. Mel Bartholomew builds a wooden grid. I don’t have time or the frustration tolerance to do it that way. My way is simple, effective and can be done in just a few minutes.

Square Foot Gardening: Building the grid

See? Easy peasy!

Now, tell me…what veggies are YOU going to grow?

And come back on Tuesday for a description of how to decide which veggies go in each square. There’s a logical method, and I’ll explain how I decide what goes where.

Your homework in the meantime? Get your raised bed. Get your soil and compost materials. Get your grid built.

If you’re just now joining us for the series, catch up with these posts:

Square Foot Gardening: The Beginning

• Jackie May 10, 2012, 1:24 pm

That is pretty cool!

It’s the next few parts that I’m really interested in! And then trying to figure out how to make it work for a regular garden.
    Jackie recently posted..#iwillrockthis Week 2

• Amy @ Counting My Kisses May 12, 2012, 8:57 am

Oooh this is so helpful! Awesome that you used a video so we could SEE it too! I love it! I’ll be showing my husband this later… :)
    Amy @ Counting My Kisses recently posted..Lucky.

• Virginia May 12, 2012, 9:01 am

Very cool! We got our garden planted last week. We planted 22 tomatoes (I’m not sure why…we planted 18 last year and had more tomatoes than we new what to do with…lots of canning), squash, & cucumbers. We still need to plant peppers and herbs.
    Virginia recently posted..Fork & Cork Plant Markers

• Liberty May 12, 2012, 9:04 pm

I love the square foot method – it made my last veggie garden much easier to maintain. I grew a little bit of everything – but the zucchini and acorn squash really tried to take over. I had squash plants growing up the side of fences and drowning out hedges. LOL Have fun!
    Liberty recently posted..Biking with Kids

• Wendy May 13, 2012, 9:48 am

Visiting from sits. Funny I have been thinking about trying square foot gardening!

• RChicken May 13, 2012, 11:31 am

It’s really the BEST way to garden, in my humble opinion. I don’t get overwhelmed because I can deal with one square foot at a time!

• Cynthia H May 13, 2012, 9:36 pm

You make me wish that I still had a yard for a garden! Sigh. Congrats on getting your second video done!
    I found you on SITS Girls :)

• Bill Brikiatis July 2, 2012, 5:19 pm

I think laying out the garden is the easy part. The tough part is building good soil without paying an arm and a leg for it. If you’re blessed with a yard with great soil and don’t need to add much, then you’re all set. If not, you’ve got to figure a way to improve on what you have. Otherwise, the best organized garden in the world won’t be much fun.
    Bill Brikiatis recently posted..3 Critical Soil Building Techniques